Thane (also called Thana) is a city in Konkan, Maharashtra. It is the headquarters of Thane district. Its biggest claim to fame is that the first railway line laid in India was from Bombay VT to Thane station.
Thane city, for all practical purposes is a suburb of Mumbai. But it is worth mentioning for the 30 lakes located within and around the city, earning it the sobriquet of Lake City. Apart from being a source of water for Thane and its larger neighbour, the lakes are also tourist attractions. The areas surrounding the city are beautiful. The scenic locales, old forts, boat rides and resorts make Thane a great getaway from Mumbai.
Thane is witnessing a gradual transition from being a Manufacturing Industrial hub to an economy driven by Services sector. The State government in general and MIDC in particular are also acting as a catalyst to boost this transition. The Wagle Estate MIDC is gradually becoming a major IT & ITES, services industry hub. The Ashar IT Park marks a key milestone towards achieving it.
Most of the global IT & ITES companies have started shifting focus and relocating to Thane on account of its cost efficiencies and highly skilled low attrition manpower. The IT parks are built using state-of-the-art technology, packed with all the ingredients comparable to any international IT park.
The nearest airport is the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport , Mumbai. Once you get off, you will need to take a taxi or hire a car. The distance to Thane is about 36 kilometers (22 miles), the drive can take between 45 to 75 minutes depending on the traffic.
Mumbai's taxis are allowed into Thane. The prepaid taxi service available at the airport is the recommended hassle-free way of getting to Thane. The fare you pay at the counter includes the toll you need to pay when you leave Mumbai.
The best way to get to Thane from Mumbai using public transport is to take the local train service. If you are coming from the airport, take an auto-rickshaw to Andheri station which is served by the Western Railway and buy a ticket to Thane. You need to take a southbound train towards Churchgate, get off at Dadar (which is the interchange point) if possible avoid peak hour journey if you are new in Mumbai specially between 8 and 11 am, get on the Central Railway Line and then take a northbound train to Thane. This method is recommended only if you are adventurous at heart and are not carrying any luggage.
Although Andheri is the nearest railway station from the airport a better option would be to take an auto-rikshaw to Kurla or Ghatkopar station(both these stations fall on the cetral suburban line) instead of Andheri and then board a suburban train to Thane. You've the option to board a fast or a slow train. The auto-rikshaw ride to Kurla or Ghatkopar stations would cost a little more, about Rs 60 to Rs 70, but you would end up saving about 45 mins to 1 hour. An added benefit is that you get to board a direct train to Thane thus avoiding the change over at Dadar.
Thane is also well served by long distance trains, many of which stop at Thane station en route Mumbai.
Two main roads enter the city from Mumbai. The older one is the Lal Bahadur Shastri Marg (commonly abbreviated as LBS Marg) and Eastern Express highway. Both of them are toll roads - the toll gate (called naaka) for the former is called Teen Hath Naka while that for the latter is called Check Naka. The toll at both the naakas is 30 rupees one way which is somewhat unfair because there is a huge difference in the condition of the two roads.
LBS marg is invariably congested, encroached upon and potholed. It goes through the heart of Mumbai's Mumbai/Central Suburbs. The Eastern Express highway is wide, well-maintained and smooth. It goes through an uninhabited area where development is prohibited. Use this road to get in, even though the distance will be slightly more. The roads intersect at Marathon chowk ("Marathon square", because that's where the Thane Mayor's Marathon starts from.). LBS marg then goes right through the city, while the Eastern Express highway skirts it and turns into NH - 3 highway to Nashik and Agra.
There are very few BEST buses that go right up to Marathon Chowk (It is known as "Teen Haath naka")- 399 and 496 Ltd. Once you get off, catch a TMT bus or auto-rickshaw.From this spot Thane railway station is hardly 10-12 min walk if you go by following Gokhale Road , & auto should not cost more than 10-15 Rupees.
BEST bus kinglong number 700 for Borivali, from Thane railway station east, frequency every 15 minutes. early bus 6.00 AM last bus 11.30 PM
Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) also called ST bus service from Thane railway station west frequency every 15 minutes.
BRTS Buses originate from Cadbury Junction for Backbay and Nehru Planetarium
Most private buses from various parts of the country will stop in Thane. Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) buses will ply from various parts of Maharashtra to Thane.
Thane Municipal Transport (TMT) commuters helpline number 1800-22-9901 to get the information about TMT buses
Note that auto-rickshaws from Mumbai cannot enter Thane city limits. You will have to change over to another one at the toll-gate.
The area around Masunda Lake, called Talao pali ("talao" meaning lake) is the heart of the city. Most of the important landmarks are located here.
Ram Maruti Road, Gokhale Road and LBS Marg are the important roads to criss-cross this area. The other important road is Ghodbunder Road which connects the eastern and western halves of the city and joins the Eastern Express Highway.
Thane Municipal Transport (TMT) runs a bus service through the city.
The most common way to get around in Thane is to hire an auto rickshaw. Payment is by meter. The amount to pay, however, is not the amount shown by the meter, but scaled up by a factor which changes whenever there is a rate adjustment. Check the tariff card for the right fare. Ensure Tariff card is stamped & signed by RTO.
If you are on a day trip from Mumbai, one of the options is to catch a taxi in Mumbai and use it to go around Thane city. You cannot flag down taxis in the city as you won't find any, but you can certainly hire one.
- Masunda lake at the heart of the city
- St. John the Baptist Church - over a hundred years old, right next to Masunda Lake.
- Upvan lake, near Yeoor hills.
- Thane creek, along Ghodbunder road.
- Gadkari Rangayatan, along talao pali.
- Kopineshwar Mandir, along talao pali - one of the oldest temple in Thane. Was reconstructed by Chimajji Appa around 1750 A.D.
- Visit Malls, visit Wonder Mall, Lake City Mall at Ghodbunder Road, Eternity Mall at Teen Hathnaka and Korum Mall near Cadbury Junction.
- Tikuji ni wadi, Tikuji-ni-wadi Road, near Hill garden complex, Manpada, Chitalsar, Thane. (Get to Ghodbunder Road towards Ghodbunder, turn left at Manpada village), +91 22 2494 1100 / +91 22 2494 1101 / +91 22 2494 1102, (fax: +91 22 2495 0544) . A popular destination for picnicking families, known for its watersports, go-karting and other rides you'd find at amusement parks. The go-karting track isn't very good though. The lunch is fabulous, though fully vegetarian. Open 7 days a week, 11AM-7PM. (Water park open 10AM-6PM Rs. 250 for entry and most rides, including in the water park (Rs. 275 on weekends. ). You will also need to buy lunch for Rs. 180 as you can't carry any edible stuff in from outside.
- Suraj water park, on Ghodbunder Road, further down towards Ghodbunder. As the name suggests, this is another place for watersports.
- Hypercity India hypercity thane kasarwadavli behind police station 18002097172 www.hypercityindia.com 10 am to 10 pm reasonable Hypermarket having products like apparels / food / electronics/ home needs
Yeoor Hills, also known as Mama Bhanja Hills, is a group of picturesque hills in Thane. It is an unspoiled and pollution free area, carpeted by natural foliage and fauna.
Yeoor Hills is home to about 78 known species of birds and about 12 different species of animals. Besides, it has the highest density of leopards in India. A trek through Yeoor Hills at the Thane end of Sanjay Gandhi National Park will be an enchanting experience.
The prime attraction here is the 150-year-old holy shrine of Mama Bhanja.
Tikuji-Ni-Wadi, a complete family theme park, is nearby.
- Boating at Masunda lake. Paddle boats are available.
- Hakone, Hiranandani Meadows, Off Ghodbunder road.  Entertainment and game park for kids. Has a video games arcade and Bowling Lanes. 3PM-10PM. Rs. 10-20 (per ride, most rides)
The old shopping areas are the ever busy Ram Maruti Road and the Naupada road towards Thane Station. There you will find shops on the roadside. New malls are coming up on Ghodbunder Road and the Eastern Express highway. Prominent among them are:
- Eternity mall - Teen Hath Naka, Eastern Express highway
- Lake city mall - Kapurbawadi, Ghodbunder Road
- Wonder mall - Manpada, Ghodbunder Road.
- Korum mall- Cadbury junction, Eastern Express highway
- R-Mall 2- Ghodbunder Road (under construction)
- Hyper City Mall- Ghodbunder Road
- Vihang Orchid, restaurant - at Ghodbunder road opposite Wonder Mall. A Multi cuisine restaurant where you can enjoy the dhaba on terrace.
- Tip top, fast food joint - near the railway station. A great place to try chaats and stuff. Rs. 15-50.
- Kunjvihar:, Near Thane railway station, Thane(W). A famous place for Jumbo (i.e. oversized) Vada-Paav, a typical Mumbaiya delicacy. You can have it either spicy or very spicy. Rs. 8/-.
- Woodland restaurant, L.B.S. Marg, Near Teen Hath Naka, Thane (W) Best South Indian food at very reasonable price. Very good service and simple and nice ambience.
- Tip top restaurant, L.B.S. Marg, Near Teen Hath Naka, Thane (W) (attached to Hotel Tip top) Great Gujarati/Rajasthani thali for Rs. 160. (Buffet for Rs. 110)
- Royal Challenge, Eastern Express highway service road, Near Nitin company, Thane (W). Vegetarian restaurant and bar.
- Sheetal Grille, Royal Inn, Old Agra road, Thane(W) +91 22 2538 4422. Indian restaurant and bar.
- Oriental Spice, Shreeji Arcade, Almeda road, Panchpakhadi, Thane-400602 +91 22 2539 4917 +91 22 2542 1111. Chinese restaurant.
- Vardhana, Eastern Express highway service road, Near new RTO, Opp. Ramkrishna Nagar, Thane(W)- 400 601 (attached to Hotel Sharanam) +91 22 2582 5225  Indian cuisine, has a lunch buffet. 12 noon-3.00PM, 7PM-11.30PM
- Raj Mata, Ram Maruti road, Thane. Famous for scrumptious vada pav, samosa pav. Be a sport and try this one out, and for a moment forget the calorie counting.
- Goras Upahar Gruh and Goras Gruha, Gokhale Road for authentic Marathi snacks & sweets from since 1977
- Mamledar Misal, Opposite Zilla Parishad Office
- Prashant corner Panchpakhadi thane (west) A great place to try chaats and stuff.
In addition, there is a McDonalds close to the railway station, another McDonalds at the Lake City Mall, a Pizza hut at Paanch Pakadi area & Wonder mall (see Buy) and a Dominos near Paanch Pakadi area & Hiranandani Estate.
- 'Indian Swad' at LBS marg. Good food and serves liquour till 2AM. Serves Indian and Oriental cuisine.
- 'Gopalashram' at LBS marg. Serves liquour till 6 AM...the food isn't that great but if you are hungry at 3AM...check the place out.
Hotel Vijaydurg:Famous for Malvani food with delicious & spicy prawns, crabs, shell masala, malvani thali with fried pamplet, bombil, halva etc. Solkadi to drink after food for digestion. Located at Majiwada before Flyover from station end.
- Moni's Near Malhar Talkies while entering Naupada market. It is a wonderful restaurant with a play area for children and fish tanks everywhere. The sizzlers are good if not the best and you could try the Royal Chicken sizzler if you ever do go there. The door man is rather peppy and the parking is always available on the adjacent road.
- PANCHALI. Is a Bar and a Restaurant. Is open till wee hours and is a better option than Gopal Ashram
- Amruta Restaurant Naupada, Near Railway Station Amazing Paav Bhaji. Will surely make you lick your fingers
- R-Mall Opening , Ghodbunder Road
- Maria Family Restaurant Maria Plaza, Pokhran Rd. 2, Thane (W) 21736461 - 65 Maria Family Restaurant is one of the best family restaurant in thane. It is located at Majiwada juction, Having ample space of valet parking. Hotel is especially for Chinese, Indian & Punjabi dishes. There is different kitchen for Veg & Non Veg Food, & main attraction of children i.e. huge Fish Tank.
- Hotel Amantran 1st floor Opp Jilha Parishad Near Congress Office Famous for Maharashtrian food, spicy and tasty menus with very good service and ambiance
- Hotel sindhudurga kinara 5,Surekh aminity Complex,Savarkar Nagar,Thane,west wagle estate 25838265 10 100-500
- Mahesh Lunch Home Phokran road 1 cadbury junction Famous for good sea food. Ideal place for non-veg lovers.
- BBQ Nation Eastern Express highway service road, Near new RTO, Green Road, Thane(W)- 400 601 Famous for Veg and Non-Veg Grill. Very nice place to be with family.
Some of the restaurants listed under Eat have bars where you can have a drink, but Thane is not a place known for its nightlife. The lower end bars tend to be sleazy, so you need to be careful.
Cafe Coffee Day  has two outlets here.
- Desi Garbar, Shop No. 6 & 7, Akanksha Society, Panchpakadi, Thane(W)
- Shop no 14,15, Ground Floor, Siddhachal Phase 4, Near Vasant Vihar, Pokhran Rd no 2, Thane(W).
- Hotel Sindhudurga Kinara 5 Surekh Aminity Complex, Savarkar Nagar, Thane Eest near wagle 02225806417 Malvani Food
'*Amruta Restaurant Naupada Amazing Vegetarian food. Especially the awesome Pav bhaaji is sure to make to lick ur fingers
- Amruta Restaurant Naupada, Near Railway Station. Amazing Paav Bhaji. Will surely make you lick your fingers
- Sundar Snacks Centre nr Thane Station at a few minutes walk from Mcdonalds on Gokhale Rd just opposite Variety Computer Shop 10-15 get best cutlets and south indian snacks in thane.You have to search this one as it not facing road but inside a building entrance.
There are many lodges near the railway station, but there is a lack of decent hotels.
- Hotel Sharanam EEH Service Road opposite Ramkrishna Nagar +91 22 2582-5225 http://www.hotelsharanam.com Rs 2500-3500 + taxes firstname.lastname@example.org +91 22 2581-0305 Includes three restaurants '''Madhuban''', '''Prakriti''' and '''Vardhana'''. Also has a banquet hall.
- Hotel Royal Inn Old Agra Road 1 km from Thane station +91 22 2538-5050 www.royalinn.co.in Rs 2350-5000 + 10% luxury tax email@example.com +91 22 2538-4411 The attached restaurant and bar '''Sheetal Grille''' serves Indian and Chinese. Has a couple of banquet halls.
- Hotel Tip top plaza LBS Marg +91 22 5593-5593 firstname.lastname@example.org +91 22 5593-5524 Rs 1700-3200 + taxes http://www.hoteltiptopplaza.com Has one decent restaurant and many banquet halls with adequate conference facilities.
- Satkar Residency Pokhran Road No1, Opp Sighania School, Next to Cadbury, Thane(w) 400606, Thane, Maharashtra 400606 Its at a stone's throw from the famous Cadbury Junction 022 25985858 http://www.satkarresidency.in It is one of the best hotels to dine with family. It serves drinks too. The food is wonderful although the price is on little higher side. But the cool and peaceful atmosphere along with prompt service compensates for it.
- Vihang's Inn Ghobunder Road +91 22 25842031 - 38 email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org Just over a year old, this hotel serves 32 rooms
- Navi Mumbai
- Explore Thane district. Vasai has some nice beaches, an old fort built by the Portuguese. The surrounding district is an area of great natural beauty.
- Ganeshpuri, near Bhivandi (Kalyan) has hot springs, a temple and an ashram of Swami Nityanand.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.