Purwokerto is a town of 300,000 inhabitants. Commonly referred as a cross-road between Jakarta and Yogyakarta. The town is on the foothill of Gunung Slamet volcano, the highest volcano in Central Java. Purwokerto also the main entrance to climb Gunung Slamet. Many of Indonesian famous people originated from Purwokerto, namely Jendral Sudirman, Jendral Gatot Subroto, Soepardjo Roestam etc. Most of those heroic people are honoured as a street name all over Indonesia.
Until today airport in Banyumas area is still in planning process. Military airport in Wirasaba Purbalingga is only a half hour from Purwokerto, capital city of Banyumas. Nowadays the airport has been being built for commercial flight. From capital city of Jakarta through Sukarno Hatta Airport, you can pass Adi Sucipto Airport (Yogyakarta), Adi Sumarmo Airport (Solo), Tunggul Wulung Airstrip (Cilacap) and Ahmad Yani International Airport (Semarang) and then go through road way. from: 
The bus station is Terminal Bus Purwokerto on 10 hectares area, clean, save and comfort located 4 km to the south of the town center. There are regular services throughout the island, including Jakarta (9 hours) with customer recommended Sinar Jaya bus, Yogyakarta (4 to 5.5 hours) with Raharja and Efisiensi bus, Semarang (6 hours) with Nusantara bus and Bandung (6 to 8 hours) with Budiman bus. The terminal serve for 24 hours.
Trains to Jakarta take between 4 to 9 hours from the main Purwokerto station depend on train class. The Argo-class trains (Argo Lawu and Argo Dwipangga) are the best of the lot: most comfortable and fastest. Taksaka is almost as good. These train also cater for Yogyakarta destination.
there is a complete list of Train Schedule and Cost at 
Purwokerto is a relatively small town, travelling around town should not be too expensive. You may jog around town for 30 minutes.
Traditional three-wheeled pedal-powered carts known as becak can be found in most part of Purwokerto. Haggle furiously.
Purwokerto has many beautiful buildings and monuments.
- Purwokerto Fly-over, is a well known landmark located in front of train station. The flyover was built in 1967.
- Train Station, a Dutch colonial architecture, many Dutch residential building can be located in front of the train station.
- Museum Bank, located in Jalan Bank, a museum dedicated for R.A. Wiriatmaja who pioneer the Indonesian banking system.
- Baturraden Adventure Forest BAF Baturraden 1 km from Queen Garden Hotel http://www.bafadventure.com
The educational institution in Purwokerto:
- Universitas Jendral Soedirman .
- Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwokerto .
- Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo now STAIN Purwokerto.
The biggest traditional market is Pasar Wage. There are also several small traditional markets, such as Pasar Manis and Pasar Pon.
- Moro, the biggest mall in Purwokerto.
- Sri Ratu now Tamara Plaza, the handphone centre and Gramedia Book Store.
- Rita Supermarket, the first supermarket in Purwokerto, there are 2 in Purwokerto, one in kebondalem and the other in alun alun.
- The New Matahari supermarket owned by the Rita Group.
- Coming soon in early 2010: Carrefour Purwokerto, yes Carrefour, the french hypermarket store is opening in Purwokerto soon.
The following dishes should be on every traveller's agenda:
- Gudeg, a curry of jackfruit, chicken and egg served with rice, and is the most famous local dish. The most famous gudeg seller is in front of Pasar Manis, Jalan Gatot Subroto.
- Mendoan is local food in Purwokerto, from a very slim Tempe (food from a fermented soy bean, very famous food in Java) and covered by dough of wheat flour. Although many places selling Mendoan, the best Mendoan only served in the village. Even though Mendoan sold at city is considerable tasty.
- Sate Kambing Sate Kambing in Purwokerto Area (Banyumas, Sokaraja, Purbalingga) is also famous for very tender young Goat. One of the best is Sate Tiga Saudara.
- Soto Purwokerto
- Soto Ani Gen. Sudirman east from Alun-alun, across Gaya Baru Optik.located in small street behind building approx 5 to 9 pm 7k (at sept 09)
- Rumah Makan Taman Pringgading, one of the best restaurants in town.
Address DI Panjaitan 217 Purwokerto
- Rumah Makan Cahaya Mas, one of the best chinese food restaurants in town. Moslem must think twice here.
You can visit in Overste Isdiman Purwokerto RM endut is famous with the hainan chicken rice and nasi campur. located on jln. wahid hasim 118 purwokerto. delivery service 0281-7647345
- Serabi Jalan Bank, available early in the morning is a local favourite. The queue is sometimes very long especially during holiday season.
- Soto Jalan Bank, Soto Sungep (also in jalan Bank), Soto Pak Tama (near Rita department store and supermarket, Soto Pak Sampun (at jalan Komisaris Bambang Suprapto), Soto Ani at Gen. Sudirman street; [east from Alun-alun across Gaya Baru Optik. located in small street behind building, open approx 5 to 9 pm].
- Soto Sokaraja, available in Sokaraja, located 4 km west of Purwokerto. Many of Soto Sokaraja in here, conside one of the best is Soto Kecik. The place not so good but very famous. Another famous one (some people consider this soto is better) is Soto Sutri.
- Mie Kelinci III available in HR.Benyamin 2 KM from Limas Agung.
Mendoan can be bought at jalan Sawangan, such as Mirasa, Echo21, etc. You can buy it raw (with separated ingredient) and frying it at home.
- Bakso Pekih, Pekih Street, north of Grand Mosque and City Square. Open 9am - 3pm approx.
- Gethuk Goreng At Sokaraja we also found the famous food called Gethuk Goreng that many shops sell with different kinds of names. It made of cassava and a lot of javanese sugar. And the other food: nopia, mino (small nopia) kripik, and also mendoan.
Wedang ronde is hot ginger drink with gluten rice balls, peanuts, jelly
Kebon Cafe is located at Jatiwinagun street. Good place to hangin around. lot of local musicians there.
- hotel anggrek jl. dr. suparno no. 100 (0281) 7606633 90k-125k clean, quiet
- Hotel Borobudur Jalan Yosodarmo 32 +62 281 635341, +62 281 637747
- Atrium Resort & Hotel Jl. Soepardjo Rustam (Jl. Raya Sokaraja) +62-281-6844041 http://www.atriumresorthotel.com Standard IDR 300,000, deluxe IDR 450,000, suite IDR 650,000 A villa-styled hotel in the main road between Purwokerto and Sokaraja. Five minutes driving from the downtown Purwokerto.
- Dynasty Hotel Jl. Dr. Angka no.71 Purwokerto about 5 minutes driving north of the downtown, near to the main road to Baturraden +62-281-634321 http://www.wisatadynasty.com/_dynasty Standard IDR 440,000, family IDR 660,000k A three stars hotel.
- Wisata Niaga Hotel Jl. Merdeka no.5 Purwokerto right in the downtown of Purwokerto +62-281-642333 Standard IDR 145,000, family IDR 275,000 A modern-minimalist-styled business hotel. The building was formerly used as the branch office of an insurance company.
- Baturaden is a resort area on the southern slope of Gunung Slamet. Just 14 km from town center.
- Sokaraja, famous for soto and gethuk.
- Mersi, famous for kripik tempe,jenang jaket and many more of other traditional meals.
- Tambak, a district border with Kebumen, 1 hour with bus from the Purwokerto Bus Terminal for Rp 7,000. Tambak offer its famous Sate Bebek outlets along street. Price relatively cheap at Rp 10,000 (US $1)
- Gunung Tugel .
- Cilacap on the south coast is sleepy fishing port. Growing industry city, such as Pertamina, Portland Cement, and new PLTU (coal energy source for electricity) Karangkandri.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.