Mae Nam is known for it's 7km stretch of beach. The beach has white sand and is lined by coconut trees. The sea is typically calm, however there is a moderate drift and the water is not usually clear. Mae Nam actually means river, 'mae' meaning mother and 'nam' water.
A songthaew from Chaweng (50 to 100 baht) or Nathon (50 baht) is the cheapest option. Easy to find as the busy ring road stretches through Mae Nam.
Songthaew or hired motorbikes are the usual options.
The sunset from the east end of the beaches are exceptionally pretty.
Chill out on the beach, there's a nearby karting on the main road towards Bophut.
There's a couple of market-shops near the 7-11 in the centre.
- Mister Pu - delightfully named restaurant on east end of Mae Nam. Barbeque meat on your own table, all you can eat for 89 baht.
- Oncle Noi - Thai family owned restaurant on the main street. Very good and very cheap food, often full in the early evening.
- Snack Stop - near the 7-11 by the main cross roads. Italian and Thai cuisine, plus a big vegetarian selection.
- Angela's Bakery Route 4169 077427396 8AM-6PM (kitchen closes at 5PM) Has been opened for nearly 10 years and is renown for their delicious bakery products, from handmade Belgian chocolates to wedding cakes to real bread. There is a cafe attached to the bakery with a menu consisting of European favourites (including brown rice for the health conscious) and Angela's own creations. The breakfasts here are great.
- Eddy's Modern Food & Drinks 3/3 Moo 1, Route 4169, Maenam 077245127 The food is great value for money and the place has friendly staff. The menu is full of popular dishes and are all served in very generous proportions. This is a great place to go for a casual meal in comfortable surroundings.
There's a few relaxed beach bars with reclining beach beds. For nightlife head on to Chaweng.
There is usually a gentle breeze in Mae Nam so air con is not essential.
- Amarin Victoria Resort 12/71 Mu 1, Tambon Maenam very elegant resort in Mae Nam.
- Napasai Maenam, Koh Samui, Suratthani, Thailand +66(0)77 429200 http://www.napasai.com Napasai is set on an extensive private beachfront site, and offers a choice of individual cottages and luxurious private pool villas with 2 or 3 bedrooms. The resort has a spa, tennis courts, fitness center and fine dining, Lai Thai Restaurant and Beach Restaurant.Member of Orient-Express Hotels.
- The Passage Samui Villas & Resort Kao Laem Yai Beach, Angthong, Koh Samui, Suratthani on the northwest tip of the island, coming from the airport go down the steep hill as you turn south and take a right turn at the bottom of the hill, 200m down the road +66 77 421721 http://www.thepassagesamui.com 2PM noon 2-20k THB 9.566304 99.92001A brand new luxury boutique resort hotel on the North West tip of Koh Samui. Stunning sunsets, refined beachfront dining and exquisite designer villas ensure your holiday memories will last forever. Room rates from: 1,999-20,000 THB Size: 50 units from villas to standard rooms.
- Rainbow Bungalows On the eastern end of the beach. Prices from 300 baht for fan rooms to 700 baht for air con.
- Mercure Samui Buri Resort (+66)77/447275 http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-7275-mercure-samui-buri-resort/index.shtml The Ultimate Thai Heritage, offering the pool villas with personalize service, located on Maenam Beach, one of the most quiet and private beach in Koh Samui, Thailand.
- Shangrilah Beach Bungalows At the western corner of Mae Nam. Beach shacks are only meters from the water, beach has 3 lines of coconut palms, absolutely quiet. Simple fan huts 300 baht.
- Siam-Home Siam-Home Bungalows MaeNam http://www.siam-home.npage.de any any 5.500 / Month 1 or 2 room bungalows with separate kitchen and bathroom, hot water, cable TV. Starting from 5.500 Baht per month for 1 room bungalow and 7.000 Baht for 2 room bungalow.Also very cheap rates for shorter stay possible.
Ao Bang Makham
- Siam-Home Siam-Home MaeNam http://www.siam-home.npage.de any any 5.500 / Month 1 or 2 room bungalows with separate kitchen and bathroom, hot water, cable TV. Starting from 5.500 Baht per month for 1 room bungalow and 7.000 Baht for 2 room bungalow.
- Maenam village bungalows 129/2 m.1, T.Maenam, Koh samui 077-425 151 350-400 for fan bungalow with dbl bed. Nice and clean bungalows, 10m from the sea. They rent out motorbikes for 200B/24h. And has an resturant with very lovely and friendly staff. Western toilets. Close to the beach and 10min walk to Mae Nam "city center" (7-eleven). It's a place for travelers that want to relax and not buzz around like in Chaweng. If your looking for some relaxing tranqulity this is where you should go. If you miss bussyness you can always rent an bike.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.