South Kolkata is a district of Kolkata. It is less congested and more modern when compared to the rest of the city. You will find more apartment blocks, green patches and affluent homes in some of the neighborhoods.
- Tollygunge Club Tollygunge about 20 min drive from Chowringhee Road (Esplanade) http://www.thetollygungeclub.com Only members and their guests are allowed. Visitors may have to make prior arrangements.The Tollygunge Club is one of the oldest clubs and a famous colonial relic, housing a golf course, horse riding facilities, and accommodations etc.
- Birla Industrial & Technological Museum 19A, Gurusaday Road, Kolkata - 700 019 033 22877241/2/3 http://www.bitmcal.org daily 10AM-5.30PM Rs. 15; special presentations are charged extrais a modern museum with lots of interesting artifacts, shows, events and activities, primarily popular with school-going children. The exhibitions, many of them demanding you to take an active part, can compete with one you could visit in countries like the United States.
- Rabindra Sarovar is a large open lake and park area housing boating clubs, an open air theatre and eateries.
- Royal Calcutta Golf Club The oldest golf club in the world after St. Andrews in Scotland.
- Tollywood (the home of Bengali Films) and Television centre are also found in Tollygunge.
- Ramakrishna Mission Institute Golpark Houses a bookstore and a library, among other amenities, with books written by and about Swami Vivekananda and Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa, ...
- Birla Temple Radha-Krishna Temple 5.30AM to 11AM and 4.30PM to 9PM The most modernly-opulent in Kolkata and worth a visit. The adjoining tree-lined lane '''Queen's Park''' is the most exclusive and fashionable address in the city and is worth a stroll through. Some of the biggest names in the city call it home. A close second is '''Sunny Park''', running parallel to Queen's Park on the other side of the Birla Temple.
- CIMA Art Gallery Sunny Towers, 43 Ashutosh Chowdhury Avenue, Kolkata-700 019 close to the Birla Temple (91) 33 2485 8717 / 2485 8509 email@example.com http://www.cimaartindia.com Mon: 3PM-7PM; Tu-Sat: 11AM-7PM freeThe "Centre of International Modern Art" is a small museum showing modern artworks.
- National Library of India Belvedere Road, Alipore (+91) 33-24791381 http://www.nationallibrary.gov.in/ 9AM-8PM; Sat, Sun, holidays: 9.30AM-6PM Oldest Library in India with a huge collection, including some rarities.
- Alipore Zoo Zoological Gardens of Kolkata
- Kalighat Temple Houses Kolkata's patron deity. The temple also got famous because Mother Theresa opened her first dying home next to the temple.
- Mother Theresa's Hospital The hospital for the destitute is just next door to the Kalighat temple. If you are bold, have a look into the building to see the people lying in big dormitories and being cared for by some Sisters.
- Inox-Forum at Elgin Road near Rabindra Sadan -- multiplex movie hall along with a big shopping mall
- Gariahat which comes under Ballygunge area. It is the biggest shopping district of Kolkata, where one can find shops ranging from branded showrooms and malls like Pantaloons,westside,Raymonds to numerous smaller shops. Has a good market to buy Saris and other clothing items.
- Malls: The Forum (Elgin Road), Gariahaat Mall  (Ballygunge).
- China Town near Park Circus houses some of the finest Chinese eateries.
- SouthCityMall Prince Anwar Shah Road (near Gariahat) http://www.southcityprojects.com/shopping_mall.html Biggest Shopping Mall in Kolkata
- Chakhna Shakna Punjabi Dhaba Flavours of Punjab. 259-B, Lake-Gardens, Kol-45 Near Ram-Mohan Mission School, 9002107890 / 9474453800 Budget category. Specialist on Punjabi, Tandoori & North Indian Cuisine. Free Home Food Delivery or Sit'n'Dine service.
- Raj Restaurant, tel: +91 33 2475 4344. Located in South Kolkata also offers clean, tasty and cheap South Indian and North Indian food. It also operates a hotel that offers clean living rooms on its second floor.
- Oh Calcutta!, Elgin Rd, (top floor of Forum Shopping Mall). Excellent Bengali food. Mains from Rs 150.
The Lassi at Sharma's Confectioners in Mandeville Gardens is worth checking out.
- The Red Carpet P-399, Keyatala Lane, Kolkata-700 029. The RED CARPET lies in an extremely posh neighborhood of South Kolkata nestling in between two of the major thoroughfares of South Kolkata, Southern Avenue & Rash Behari Avenue. http://www.theredcarpet.in +91 33 40086847 Rs. 2,500/-
- The Best Inn 1B Sushil Sen Road, Kolkata-700025 off crossing of Chowringhee Road & Elgin Road, near Rabindra Sadan Metro Station (+91) 33 24549101 Rs. 2,000 - 3,000Amenities include air-conditioning, telephone, internet connectivity, TV (Cable), laundry service, housekeeping, room service, continental breakfast. Deluxe Suite (King size Double Bed)/Deluxe Queen (Queen Double Bed)/Deluxe Twin (two single beds) rooms with attached bathrooms.
- Mrs. Dam's Guesthouse Near Ballygunge Near Ice Skating Rink +91 33 2290 4533 Rs. 2000 Modern, prettily furnished rooms with attached bath, air-con, TV etc. in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Helpful owner lives in the same building, and is a handy source for tips on what to see/where to go in Kolkata. They also have a great cook, so make sure you try a home-cooked Bengali meal when you're there.
- Hotel Taj Bengal 34B, Belvedere Road, Alipore. (+91) 33 2223 3939 +91 33 2223 1766 http://www.tajhotels.com It is one of the best in town.
- Hotel Hindustan International A.J.C. Bose Road near Minto Park http://www.hindusthan.com
- Bodhi Tree Boutique Guesthouse 48/44, Swiss Park, Kolkata. Sarovar Metro 33 2424 +91 33 2424 1598 http://bodhitree-cal.spaces.live.com
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.