Geographically located in the state of Pahang, Malaysia(03 31N Longitude 101 55 E)ranging from 1500 to 4500 feet above sea level.The climate here serves in between 23° and 28°Celsius during the day and below 22°Celsius in the evenings. A simple Malay kampong or village with a population of approximately 1000 people. Janda Baik is set amidst a small valley bounded by thick rainforest laced together with picturesque streams and cool rushing brooks of waterfallswith. Located approximately 45km and about an hour’s drive from Kuala Lumpur, the place is a popular holiday and recreational destination for city folks, not to mentioned foreign visitors especially global backpackers.
"Janda Baik" means "the good widow" in Malay. As the story is told by local folks, in the old days a path that connects Selangor and Pahang beats its way through the village. It was said that a mercenary, who was returning after fighting in a civil war in Selangor stopped at the village for a rest and to nurse some wounds he had sustained in battle. Upon seeing this ragtag team in the vicinity, a kindly widow immediately offered help and tended to the mercenary's wounds. The man was thankful and deeply cherished the kindness. As a mark of respect for this kind widow, the leader of the warrior pack would always advise his men to call on the woman whenever they were in the vicinity.
Friends of Janda Baik (FOJB) was set up to promote an awareness and importance in preserving and protecting the true beautiful nature of Janda Baik and it's surrounding hills and streams, it's ecological system while keeping and sustaining the original existing concept of Malay 'kampung (village)' environment and development.
Janda Baik had experiencing an increasing visitors due to it's strategic location for weekend escapism. It attract investors to come here and build up semi-resort type accommodations, commercial facilities and training camps. However, the need for controlled development has to be taken into placed in order not to lost and destroy the originality and tranquility of village character.
The other challenge facing by Janda Baik citizens is the rape of it's surrounding hill due to the illegal hill farming and de-forestration activities. These had resulted to the rise of temperature climate, pollution to river streams, erosion and landslip and decreasing the stream water level.
Nevertheless, Janda Baik has wide numbers of semi-type resorts that offer motivational courses, obstacle challenges , flying fox and abseiling. Camping grounds are available. Backpackers chalet however still very limited.
For those who wish to pursue with rainforest trekking and 4-wheel dfrive trails, there are a local run organisation that faciltated such.
Directions Janda Baik is just 45 kilometers North of Kuala Lumpur and 1/2 hr drive from kl via Gombak-Karak Highway.After the first tunnel turn left,make a U-turn and turn left after petrol station PETRONAS and MCDONALD. On that left turn, all the way in and there will be a junction and a 'Welcoming Arch', turn right. From here, it is the main access to Janda Baik. There are signboards along the roads. Along the journey, you will see TanaRimba and Electricsola Factory on your right side. After the factory, either turning left at the T-junction at the Janda Baik's surau (mosque)which is on the left side of the road or just keep on going straight in, it will somehow, takes you to the main Kg. Janda Baik.
Transportation From KLIA, KL International Airport - You can use either the ERL (Express Rail Link), taxi or shuttle bus, get down at the KL Sentral. From KL Sentral, you can either rent a car or get a taxi to go Janda Baik. Car rental prices are varies and according to the company. Taxi charges are ranged from RM 100.00 to RM180.00 for a one way trip. Few of the major resort in Janda Baik such as the Seri Pengantin Resort provide an airport transfer for its guests and advance reservation is required. Charges applies and must be made upon reservation.
Airport Kuala Lumpur International Airport - 100km
Janda Baik is a good place to seek rest and recreation because of its proximity to Kuala Lumpur. The following are the interesting places that one should explore and enjoy these unique experience.
- Pulau Santap What happens when two rivers meet? A kind of chemistry takes place. The meeting of the Bunus and Ceringging rivers is the birthplace of Janda Baik. In the early days, there was a small islet where Sultan Abu Bakar of Pahang took his meals.Santap is the language of the royal courts which means the Sultan is having his meal. The place was aptly named Pulau Santap. The islet is no more to be seen but the place still entices visitors to have a picnic or take a dip in its shallow water.
- Ulu Tampit Waterfall Ulu Tampit waterfall is in Latto Charok. It is recommended to visit the waterfall if you are visiting Janda Baik. Many would find that Ulu Tampit waterfall is the most enjoyable one! There are seven floors of waterfall and 4th, 5th and 7th floor, are the most common floors people go to visit. It only takes about 45 minutes of light trekking and hiking through the jungle to get to the top floor. During raining season it is not advisable to go there because first of all the water is not clear, secondly many ‘pacat’ or leeches and lastly you may fall down during the hiking because of slippery.At the 5th floor of the waterfall, the panoramic view is so beautiful while at 7th floor is the best to dip into the water! The water is so cold and so deep, yet you will not be carried away by the current. It is one of the safest waterfalls to plunge into the water. Kids enjoy it the most at the 5th floor.How to get there? Unfortunately, visiting the waterfall will only be allowed if you are accompanied by an experienced guide. The guide is available with an advance booking. Kindly call 019 6152 150 for further assistance.For those who are looking for something tougher, it is recommended to go hiking to Gunung Nuang through Janda Baik. It takes 10 hours of trekking to go up and down. Good luck!
- Mount Nuang Gunung Nuang or Mount Nuang (1493m) is the highest in the state of Selangor, which is in Hulu Langat. Gunung Nuang is among the famous mountain for local and foreign trekkers and it is also a "training centre" for those who plan to challenge the Mount Tahan in Pahang and Mount Kinabalu in Sabah. Trekking up Gunung Nuang in Hulu Langat offers intrepid trekkers endless opportunities to observe exotic and rare tropical flora and fauna. Striding through the forests of this mountain, the lush vegetation displays Malaysia's primeval and largely unexplored rainforests. The hilly terrain makes trekking up to the peak of Gunung Nuang more arduous. The vibrant ecosystem that stretches throughout the trek will expose visitors to nature at its most natural form.It is estimated at about 11 hours of journey from the main entrance. Along the journey, there are 2 campsites, where you can have a rest and refresh your energy before continuing another hard trek to the summit. The view from the peak is spectacular with fresh air breezing. A satisfaction guaranteed when reaching this famous summit.
- Elephant Conservation Center 603-9075 2872 8AM to 4:30PM daily Located in Kuala Gandah, 40km from Bentong, this center is dedicated to rescuing and protecting the country's elephants. Take a close look at these friendly jumbos during their feeding times or watch the fun as they enjoy a muddy splash in the nearby river. Activities are held from 14:00 to 15:45.
- Orang Asli Museum The Aborigines Museum 03-6189 2113 ext 216 09:00 to 17:00, Saturday to Thursday. Closed Friday Free The Orang Asli Museum in Jalan Gombak, 24km away from Janda Baik and Batu Caves, is an impressive and informative centre showcasing the history, customs and traditions as well as the social and economic development of the peninsula's early inhabitants.Managed by the Orang Asli Affairs Department, the museum displays models and exhibits highlighting the lifestyle of the tribes including their dwellings, personal adornment, arts, costumes, musical instruments, hunting and agricultural tools, animal traps and traditional medicine.
Rainforest TrekkingJanda Baik holds local avid trekkers and offer guide to those interested. This are fully run and managed by local trekkers. They are very active in nature preservation works and rescue mission. The trails varied from a day walk to a week depending on the peaks trail along Banjaran Titiwangsa ( Titiwangsa Range) natural rainforest. Contact: +6019-2031256 (Adino).
4-Wheel Drive Trails These are fully run and managed by local Janda Baik . Location Kg. Hulu Lurah, Janda Wan Sharizan Baik. Contact: +6019-611 2124 (Zaini)
- Di Hilir Brasserie +6 03 4270 1700 This elegant restaurant is located at the Seri Pengantin Resort in Kampung Sum-Sum Hilir Off Kampung Janda Baik. Embark on a culinary adventure, a dwelling within lush tropical environs within scenic view of the resort's swimming pool and the Sum-Sum Hilir River. The menu commands as much as the views, ranging from local favorites, Western classics to Asian exotics.
- Restaurant Budiyah Located at the stretch of shoplots at the downhill of Kampung Bukit Tinggi and nearby to a BP petrol station. Also, this restaurant can be easily seen and accessed from the main highway. This restaurant is popular among the highway stopovers and the locals as they serving fresh hot 'kelantanese' dishes and pahang's specialities.Operates from morning till late daily.
- Restaurant Cik Mek 16:00 to midnight Located in Kg. Cheringging off Kampung Janda Baik. Served hot from the kitchen. This restaurant is popular for its kelantanese food and live cable television entertainment showing latest sports and etc.
- Genting Sempah Rest Area There are endless choice of eateries in this area. One of the popular ones is McDonald Restaurant which also have a 24 hour drive-thru counter.
- Restaurant Foon Lock, Kg. Bukit Tinggi Popular among the highway stopovers and the locals. Serving lip-smacking chinese dishes and great friendly service too!
- Minang Sri Selera Warung Minang Sri Selera, Kg Sum-Sum, Janda Baik, 28750, Bentong, Pahang 019-9552451 8AM - 10PM Is the best minang restaurant in Janda Baik. Its located in the Kg Sum Sum. The special menu is the Sup Tulang.
- Restaurant on the Hill@ Saufiville Lot 1223 Kg Chemperoh 0192221064 Serving Western Cuisine and Steamboat.
- Restaurant on the Hill@Saufiville Lot 1223 Kg Chemperoh 019-2221064 Located up in the hill in Kg Chemperoh, this unique restaurant serves Western Cuisine and Steamboat
There are a few resorts and homestays available in Janda Baik for accommodation.
- Seri Pengantin Resort Lot 686 Kg Sum Sum Hilir, Janda Baik, 28750 Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur +603 42701700 http://www.seripengantinresort.com.my 3pm 12noon From RM180.00 Nett onwards The Resort is well-known for its perfect holiday destination for the city dwellers to a get away from the bustling city life, a romantic weekend rendezvous and business travelers to hold a private meetings and seminars.
- D'Ark Training & Resort Sdn Bhd Ashida Villa, Lot 5303, Pulau Santap, Janda Baik, 28750 Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur +609-233 0031 / 019 386 6268 www.darkresort.com
- Dusun Lazim Camp Site Lot 15464,Kg. Chemperoh, Janda Baik 28750, Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur +6019-204 8968, 013-237 8751 http://www.dusunlazim.com
- Latto Charok Chalet Janda Baik, 28750 Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur +6019-347 0772
- Maninjau Chalet and Camp Ulu Cheringin, Janda Baik Near Maninjau Mini Market 09-2330181 or 012-2430980
- Pondok Impian Janda Baik, 28750 Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur +6012-313 3224
- Pulau Santap Chalet Enterprise Lot 2575 Kg Pulau Santap, Janda Baik, 28750 Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur +6019-988 9830
- Riverside Janda Baik Lot 5506 Kampung Janda Baik, 28750, Bentong, Pahang +6019-9483100/+6012-2723140 http://www.riverside.com.my Riverside Janda Baik is located just beside Pulau Santap area. Provides a nice place for picnic, chalets a large camp site that can accomodate 500 people at one time in the untouched greenery and a lot of other activities. Please visit for more info.
- Sailor's Rest Homestay Sailor's Rest, Janda Baik, 28750 Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur +6019-217 0152 or +6019-218 0152 http://www.sailorest.com
- Seri Dinar Training Services Sdn Bhd 8299 Sungai Panjang, Janda Baik, 28750 Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur +609- 233 0261
- Saufiville-A Boutique Resort Lot 1223 Kg Chemperoh 0192221064 Situated high up in the hills of Kg Chemperoh,This new resort has a panoramic view of the surrounding mountains. An ideal place for families or for a romantic weekend.
- Suria Hill Country House Lot 8567, Kampung Janda Baik, 28700 Mukim Bentong, Pahang Darul Makmur, Malaysia 609-2330003 http://www.suriaresorts.com/jandabaik/index.php Rates start at MYR 230Suria Hill Country House offers 16 exclusive gorgeously appointed guestrooms, all of which have air-conditioning, a 26-inch LCD TV featuring selected ASTRO channels, and mini refrigerator. Some of its amenities include private aromatic jacuzzi, picnic and barbecue area, and fish pond and mountain stream.
- Cherengin Hills Convention & Spa Resort Lot 5540 & Lot 5936, 28750 Janda Baik, Bentong, Pahang +603 5633 5726/27 http://cherenginhills.com RM184.00 nett (until 14th Dec'10) A 4-star resort offering 136-saleable rooms. The resort is seated on an altitude of 600 to 800ft above sea level offering a cool day's climate of 23 to 28 degrees Celsius and drops to 22 degrees Celsius when evening dawns.
- Centella Asiatica Resort Kampung Sum-sum Hulu, Janda Baik 012-3867957 or 012-3816024 http://jandabaikresort.com 3:00 pm 12:30 noon
- Air Tenang Resort, Jalan Chemperoh, Kg Janda Baik, Pahang 013-2262030, 019-6888240, 013-2107703, 03-61569251,
- Kampung Janda Baik HomeStay 019-2991 994
- Sum-Sum Valley Homestay & Rest House Lot 5348 Sum-Sum Hilir, Janda Baik 6013-3239359
Tourism Pahang, Malaysia 
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.