Horsens is a city in eastern Jutland with a population of around 55.000. Already during the Viking age it was a settlement called Horsnes. The name probably referred to the breeding of large numbers of horses in the area.
Horsens is located at the end of a beautiful fjord which can be viewed from the harbor. The fjord is the typical Danish kind with rolling hills and forests that stretches all the way down to the water.
It takes 28 mins to reach Horsens from Aarhus by DSB Intercity trains, the main train service operating in Denmark. Horsens is two stops from Aarhus towards Copenhagen on the main line running from Frederikshavn in north to Copenhagen.
The nearest airport is Billund Airport, the country's second largest airport.
There is also a smaller airport in Tirstrup, north of Aarhus. Passengers arriving at that airport and are depending on public transportation will have to catch the airport coach into Aarhus station and then a train from Aarhus to Horsens.
From Copenhagen, Horsens can be reached with trains running from Copenhagen Airport Kastrup. The journey time is approx. 2 ½ to 3 hours (most often passengers will have to change trains at the main station in Copenhagen).
A ticket purchased on a local bus is valid for one hour and costs DKK 19. A ten-trips card costs DKK 115, each trip is valid for an hour as well. A great way to discover Horsens is by bike. You can rent bikes at different locations, ask at the tourist office located at Søndergade 28.
Bygholm Park, Vitus Berings Park and Søndergade (High Street). The museums,The old prison( closes by the end of 2008 )and the special churches.
One of the largest cultural events in Horsens is the annual European Medieval Festival on the last Friday and Saturday in August. The town centre of Horsens is transformed into the largest medieval market town in Northern Europe with activities and entertainment for families and children of all ages.
- Bytorv Horsens
is a shoppingcentre located on the highstreet, Søndergade.
is the largest supermarket in the town of Horsens.
Bilka Horsens Høegh Guldbergsgade 10, 8700 Horsens
- L'estragon Restaurant Sønderbrogade 4, 8700 Horsens (+45) 75 61 53 03 http://www.lestragonhorsens.dk Restaurant L'estragon takes the French kitchen as its starting point and combines it with ingredients and methods of preparation from all over the world.
- Cafe Corfitz Cafe and restaurant Søndergade 21, DK-8700 Horsens (+45) 7562 8844
- China House Restaurant Søndergade 15 (+45) 75623132
- This is only a very little selection of the restaurants and cafees in Horsens '
Vegetarian' As with most other places in Denmark, vegetarian food is not widely available. The Danish word for vegetarian is vegetar.
There is a wide selection of cafées and bars in Horsens,among many:
Benediktes-Grønnegade 15,8700 Horsens
Hekkenfeldt-Graven 17-19,8700 Horsens
Cafe Koks,Nørregade 7, 8700 Horsens
Corfitz,Søndergade 21, 8700 Horsens
There are a few primitive, but free, camping grounds  available
- Best Western Hotel Danica Ove Jensens Alle 28 (+45) 7561 6022 firstname.lastname@example.org (+45) 7561 6663 Rooms from DKK 895 http://www.hoteldanica.dk/ 55.8595 9.8461
- Jørgensen Hotel Centraly located (+45) 7562 1600 email@example.com (+45) 7562 8585 Rooms from DKK 695 http://www.jorgensens-hotel.dk/ 55.8621 9.8475
- Scandic Hotel Bygholm Park Schüttesvej 6 (+45) 7562 2333 firstname.lastname@example.org (+45) 7561 3105 Rooms from DKK 750 http://www.scandichotels.dk/bygholmpark 55.8649 9.8262
- Danhostel Horsens Vandrerhjem Youth hostel Flintebakken 150 (+45) 7561 6777 email@example.com (+45) 7561 0871 Rooms from DKK 400 - shared room from DKK 200 http://www.danhostelhorsens.dk/ 55.8737 9.8659
- Hotel Opus Horsens Egebjergvej 1 (+45) 7625 7200 http://www.hotelopushorsens.dk/ firstname.lastname@example.org (+45) 7625 7201 Rooms from DKK 875 55.8776 9.84238
- TeaterHotellet.dk Søndergade 22, 2nd floor (+45) 7627 8500 http://www.teaterhotellet.dk/ email@example.com (+45) 76278511 Single room from DKK 995 55.8618 9.8476Centrally located on the main street.
- Motel Thorsvang Vejlevej 58-60 (+45) 7564 2530 http://www.motel-thorsvang.dk/ (+45) 7564 7720 firstname.lastname@example.org Rooms from DKK 400 55.8461 9.8242
The city of Aarhus can be reached by intercity trains within 30 mins while the town of Vejle is about quarter of an hour away by train in opposite direction, towards Copenhagen.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.