Eurolines is a pan-European bus company that provides long-distance buses connecting many major European cities. They provide online booking with their various in-country subsidiaries through their website.
Eurolines offers several types of pass for the adventurous traveler on a budget. While they are similar to the well-known Eurail passes, they bear several key distinctions that are worth noting:
- Each individual journey must be booked at some point in advance of its departure date/time. That means that you can't simply arrive at the bus terminal and expect to be able to board any available bus. A much more sensible thing to do is to pay a visit to the Eurolines office (sometimes located in the bus terminal, sometimes not) upon arrival in a city, and book your next trip then. It is of course sometimes possible to book a trip right before getting on the bus, if it is not full, but counting on being able to do so often leads to unexpected complications.
- Eurolines buses do make intermediary stops, but they are very infrequent, as they are only in major destinations. The pass works well for travelers who either prefer only to see major cities, or who intend to use the pass in conjunction with local transportation options.
- The buses usually do not have bathrooms on board. Instead, the bus stops every now and then to give its riders a chance to use facilities at a rest stop.
- If your bus journey crosses a body of water via a ferry, you will be allowed to get off of the bus for the duration of the ferry ride.
- The buses are very popular and usually either sold-out or are at least very crowded, even along routes you might not expect to generate great interest.
- Quarters are generally more cramped than the average European train, which has cabins with doors and seats that face each other.
According to eurolines-pass.com, passholders can travel between the following cities:
Amsterdam Madrid Barcelona Marseille Berlin Milan Bordeaux Montpellier Bratislava Munich Brno Nantes Brussels Oslo Bucharest Paris Budapest Perpignan Cologne Prague Copenhagen Riga Dublin Rome Edinburgh Siena Florence Stockholm Frankfurt Strasbourg Gdansk Stuttgart Geneva Tallinn Gothenburg Toulouse Hamburg Venice Krakow Vienna Lille Vilnius London Warsaw Lyon Zurich
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.